We utilize the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) Reporting Framework, a globally accepted framework for reporting on an organization’s economic, environmental, and social performance, for communicating annually with our stakeholders. As summarized by the GRI: “Sustainability reporting is the practice of measuring, disclosing, and being accountable to internal and external stakeholders for organizational performance towards the goal of sustainable development. A sustainability report should provide a balanced and reasonable representation of the sustainability performance of a reporting organization – including both positive and negative contributions.”
- Tronox 2017 GRI Report
- Tronox 2016 GRI Report
- Tronox 2013 Corporate Responsibility Report
- Tronox 2015 GRI Report
- Tronox 2012 Corporate Responsibility Report
- Tronox 2014 GRI Report
- TDMA 2013 report detailing how TiO2 producers are making sustainability a priority
An Integrated Approach to Sustainability
Tronox Limited is a global leader in the mining, production and marketing of inorganic minerals and chemicals. We build value by managing the full extent of our supply chain.
Growing concerns arising from economic, social and environmental factors have added a sense of urgency behind international corporate sustainability efforts. As a global leader, Tronox and its 3,500 employees appreciate that the mark we leave extends beyond the minerals we extract or the pigment we manufacture. It’s about the way we do business and the example we set. We believe that we can, and should, take accountability for the economic, environmental and social consequences of our activities, and we need to minimize the unintended consequences of our actions while becoming a more efficient business that creates long-term value. Accordingly, we integrate sustainability into every aspect of our business, from our culture and our strategy to our operating practices, and we set objectives and communicate our progress to our stakeholders, which include employees and prospective employees, investors, customers, suppliers, communities, governments and regulatory bodies.
Sustainability’s Contribution to Corporate Strategy
Sustainability plays an integral role in the execution of Tronox’s corporate strategy. Our top priority is to grow our business and to do it in a way that creates lasting value for all Tronox stakeholders while preserving our license to operate globally. This requires achieving success on two key fronts which we believe Tronox is well on its way to accomplishing. First, we must outperform our competition by leveraging the strategic benefits of our full integration and by becoming the industry-wide standard bearer of operational excellence and efficiency; and second, we must retain the trust of all our stakeholders by balancing our business’s day-to-day needs with the imperative to preserve the planet’s long-term viability.
Tronox views these goals as complementary, as operating sustainably leads to stronger operational and financial results. Likewise, we are investing in technology, our people and our communities to help advance these objectives. Whether we are upgrading our control systems to reduce petcoke consumption at our global pigment facilities or re-circulating carbon monoxide gas at our titanium ore-smelting operations at KZN Sands in South Africa, Tronox’s global team is implementing solutions that limit our ecological impact, lower our costs and drive greater productivity out of our mines and pigment facilities. Moving forward, our global emphasis on innovation and problem solving will enable us to continually find new ways to use energy and water more efficiently and reduce our waste and greenhouse gas emissions.
Tronox has a unique culture that is shaped by the broad diversity of our workforce. We have six core company values that are each supportive of strong sustainability practices. They guide our policies and actions and impel us to create long-term stakeholder value, protect the environment and prioritize social responsibility in our communities and around the world. Values include health & safety; responsibility; people; teamwork; customers and results. Each of our values is intertwined with sustainability.
Health and safety: We believe passionately that everyone at Tronox must experience a safe and healthy workplace. We proactively identify and manage risk, conduct ourselves responsibly and exercise good judgment. Ensuring a safe work environment is a pillar of sustainability because it builds long-term trust and gives our employees the security to perform at their very best.
Responsibility: We care for our environment and for our communities. We hold ourselves responsible both inside and outside the workplace, harnessing our resources and efforts to reduce our footprint while moving forward both our business and our communities.
People: People are our most important resource. Sustainable businesses are shaped by individuals who are dedicated to innovation, operational excellence and finding environmentally friendly solutions to problems. We create opportunities for individual development and promote a work environment conducive to idea sharing and openness.
Teamwork: We will win – as a team. We know that we are greater as a team than the sum of our parts. Our team collaborates effectively, communicates openly, engages honestly and treats others respectfully. This mentality helps promote sustainability both inside and outside the company.
Customers: We want to make it easy for our customers to do business with us. By limiting the impact of our operations on the environment and driving productivity, we ensure our customers a sustainable link in their supply chains. We believe that our sustainability and corporate citizenship efforts will increasingly strengthen our appeal to customers in the future. And we will work with customers to find solutions for sustainability challenges.
Results: We set clearly defined and challenging objectives – and we measure, own and deliver results. From a sustainability standpoint, we report our progress to all Tronox stakeholders in transparent fashion. Our corporate sustainability results can be found both on our Website and in our corporate sustainability report.
Our Operating Practices
Each of our operating businesses, including our mining and our pigment and electrolytic operations, is committed to operating practices that go beyond mere compliance with local regulatory requirements. We take a proactive approach to (a) manage the risks associated with our business stemming from economic, environmental and social factors, and (b) ensure a brighter future for our customers, communities, employees and shareholders by advancing specific objectives in each of those areas.
- Develop a financially strong, growing business that sustains itself with internally generated cash and delivers attractive returns to shareholders
Implement innovative technologies and practices to preserve scarce resources:
- Reduce energy consumption per unit of production
- Reduce water consumption per unit of production
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions per unit of production
- Reduce waste per unit of production
- Rehabilitate and restore the land we disturb in our mining operations
- Foster a safe work environment for our people
- Develop a workforce composed of people with varying backgrounds and styles, reflecting our customer base and the communities in which we operate
- Engage and support our communities
Child Labor/Forced Labor
- We are opposed to any form of child labor and forced or compulsory labor. It is Tronox’s policy to prohibit child labor or the use of forced or compulsory labor in our workplaces, and we expect our suppliers and contractors to do the same.
Australian Environmental Reports
- Australian Corporate Environment Policy.
- MS790 4-year Performance Review, 2009-2012
- Cooljarloo Mine: Falcon Extension MS790 Compliance Report 2014
- Cooljarloo Mine: Falcon Extension MS790 Compliance Report 2015
- Cooljarloo Mine: Falcon Extension MS790 Compliance Report 2016
- Cooljarloo Mine: Falcon Extension MS790 Compliance Report 2017
- Chandala Compliance Assessment Report MS958 2014
- Chandala Compliance Assessment Report MS958 2015
- Chandala Compliance Assessment report MS958 2016
- Tronox Chandala MS958 CAR 2017
- Compliance Assessment Report 2014 for Tronox’s Dongara Mine
- Compliance Assessment Report 2015 for Tronox’s Dongara Mine
- Compliance Assessment Report 2016 for Tronox’s Dongara Mine
- Compliance Assessment Report 2017 for Tronox’s Dongara Mine