Tronox Limited is one of the world’s leading producers and marketers of TiO2, the world’s third largest producer of titanium feedstock, and second largest producer of zircon. Our world-class TiO2 products are components of everyday applications such as coatings, plastics, paper and other applications. Titanium feedstock is used primarily to manufacture TiO2. Zircon is a hard glassy mineral that is used for the manufacturing of ceramics, refractories, TV glass and a wide range of other industrial and chemical products.
The company also produces electrolytic and other chemical products used in advanced battery materials, semiconductors, pharmaceuticals, pulp and paper manufacturing, and high-performance fibers.
- In 2012, Tronox Ltd. had net sales of approximately US$1.8 billion.
- The company operates across five continents with a workforce of approximately 3,400 employees
Tronox’s mineral sands operations are based in:
- Namakwa Sands, South Africa
- KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) Sands, South Africa
- Western Australia
Tronox’s Pigment productions are based in:
- Hamilton, Mississippi, USA
- Botlek, Netherlands
- Kwinana, Australia
Electrolyic operations are based in:
- Henderson, Nevada, USA
- Hamilton, Mississippi, USA
- Tronox has corporate offices in Stamford, Connecticut, USA
Titanium Dioxide Operations
- Tronox currently has production facilities designed to produce approximately 465,000 tons of TiO2 annually
- We are the world’s third largest producer and supplier of TiO2 manufactured via chloride technology, which is preferred by manufacturers of paints, coatings and plastics
- The top ten customers represented approximately 36.5 percent of the company’s total TiO2 sales volume in 2011
- Our proprietary chloride process accounts for 100% of our pigment production gross capacity. We are one of only five major producers of TiO2 with this proprietary technology.
- The paint, coatings, and plastics industries account for about 80 percent of world pigment consumption
- We are the third largest titanium feedstock producer with approximately 10% of global titanium feedstock production and the second largest zircon producer with approximately 20% of global zircon production. Tronox produces more titanium ore than its titanium dioxide capacity requires
- Mineral sands operations consists of two product streams that include titanium feedstock and zircon
- Our global mining operations have a combined production capacity of 753,000 metric tons of titanium feedstock and 265,000 metric tons of zircon
Our fully integrated and global production facilities and sales and marketing presence in the Americas, Europe, Africa and the Asia-Pacific region enables us to provide customers in over 90 countries with a reliable supple of our products. The diversity of the geographic regions we serve increases our exposure to faster growing geographies. We believe our relative size and vertical integration will provide us with a competitive advantage in retaining existing customers and obtaining new business.
Environmental Health and Safety Performance
Tronox is recognized for environmental, health and safety performance. As a company providing important commodity production in a world economy, it is our goal to do so in a safe and environmentally responsible manner.
- At our operations, we comply with worldwide, voluntary standards developed by the International Organization for Standardization , such as ISO 9001:2008 for quality management and ISO 14001 for environmental management.
- Tronox has also registered all chemical substances that were required to be registered by 2010 under the adopted registry framework known as Registration, Evaluation and Authorization of Chemicals (REACH)
- Tronox Incorporated is in substantial compliance with applicable environmental rules and regulation. Currently, Tronox Incorporated does not have any outstanding notices of violation or orders from regulatory agencies.